Welcome to Emmaus House
High above the busy city of Bristol, in Clifton Village, Emmaus House has views across the Cumberland Basin to the hills of Dundry.
The house is made up of two adjoining houses dating back to the early 18th century, though some parts of the house are thought to be even older. For many years both houses were family homes. The Rev. John Hensman, Vicar of Clifton Church (destroyed during the war), lived here from 1819 until his death in 1864. Hence the name of the road alongside the house - Hensman's Hill.
The house remained a family home until 1959 when it became part of La Retraite High School. Although the School closed in 1982 it remains home to a community of La Retraite sisters who are actively involved in the retreats and courses.
The community of La Retraite was founded in 1674 with the aim of giving retreats to women. Over time education became an important focus. In recent years communities have become increasingly involved in a variety of ways to be with people on their spiritual journey.
Copyright © 2013 Emmaus House, All rights reserved.
4th January 2014
29-30th January 2014
31st January 2014
3rd - 7th February
Bed & Breakfast
£40 pp double
Contact us on 0117 9079950
to book. Or email:
Click or Touch any of the above to get full details.